Chatting with kids about being online
You may be concerned that your kids could find pornography, violence, or hate speech online. You can reduce these risks by talking to your kids about how they communicate — online and off — and encouraging them to engage in conduct they can be proud of.
Callersmart.com is a great resource for parents to get more information on how to keep their children safe on the internet.
Basic Online Safety Rules for Kids
1. I will not give out personal information such as my address, telephone number, parents’ work address/telephone number, or the name and location of my school without my parents’ permission.
2. I will tell my parents right away if I come across any information that makes me feel uncomfortable.
3. I will never agree to get together with someone I meet online without first checking with my parents. If my parents agree to the meeting, I will make sure that it is in a public place and bring my mother or father along.
4. I will never send a person my picture or anything else without first checking with my parents.
5. I will never respond to any messages that are mean or in any way make me feel uncomfortable. It is not my fault if I get a message like that. If I do, I will tell my parents right away so that they can contact the online service.
Basic guidelines courtesy of National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (www.MissingKids.com).
Below is an educational video.
There has been a drastic increase in identity theft and credit card fraud due to the increasing use of technology. These types of crimes are becoming much more prevalent and are resulting in more complex investigations.
Basic Online Safety Rules for Everyone
If you are a victim of identity theft, please see the following websites for answers to many common questions.
The Federal Trade Commission’s Identity Theft website offers comprehensive information. Here is a link to an identity theft brochure (PDF) and a more comprehensive guide (PDF) for victims of identity theft that includes the ID Theft Affidavit.