FAQs | Chenequa Police Department
Chenequa Police Department
Village of Chenequa - Police Department

  • Bookmark and Share
  • FAQs


    General Questions

    What is the address for Village Hall?

    31275 W County Road K, Chenequa, WI 53029

    What is the telephone and fax number for Village Hall?

    The telephone number is (262) 367-2239 and the fax number is (262) 367-3341.

    What are the hours of the Village Hall?

    Monday through Thursday: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
    Fridays: 8:00 am to 3:00 pm

    What holidays will Village Hall be closed?

    New Year’s Day January 1
    Good Friday Floating Holiday: 2 Days before Easter Sunday
    Memorial Day Floating Holiday: Last Monday in May
    Independence Day July 4
    Labor Day Floating Holiday: First Monday in September
    Thanksgiving Floating Holiday: Fourth Thursday in November
    Day after Thanksgiving Floating Holiday: see line above
    Christmas Eve Day December 24
    Christmas Day December 25
    New Year’s Eve Day December 31

    What is the Village of Chenequa’s population?

    The population is 587.

    Clerk / Treasurer

    When does the Board of Trustees meet? When do any other committees?

    Board of Trustees meets the second Monday of each month at 7:30pm.
    Other committees:
    Plan Commission meets the second Monday each month at 6:00pm.
    Board of Appeals meets on an as needed basis.
    Board of Review meets late spring to early summer.
    The board must initially meet annually during the 30-day period beginning on the second Monday in May.
    Public Safety meets on an as-needed basis.
    Open Space meets on an as-needed basis.
    Operations meets on an as-needed basis.
    Personnel Committee meets on an as-needed basis.
    Hwy 83 Task Force meets on an as-needed basis.
    Emergency Government Committee meets on an as-needed basis.
    Lake Management Ad Hoc Committee meets on an as-needed basis.
    Police Commission meets on an as-needed basis.
    Lake Country Fire and Rescue COMMISSION meets on an as-needed basis.
    Lake Country Fire and Rescue BOARD meets on an as needed-basis.

    Where do I register to vote in the Village of Chenequa?

    You can register to vote at Village Hall or at the polls. In order to speed the process, you may download a Voter Registration form at https://myvote.wi.gov/ and bring the completed registration to the Village Hall. Please also bring your driver’s license with your Chenequa address. The voting location in the Village is at the Chenequa Village Hall, 31275 W Hwy K, upstairs in the Board Room.

    Where can I pay my tax bill?

    Tax bills are paid at the Village Hall. Tax payments can be made in two installments: the first installment is due by January 31st; and the second installment is due by July31st. Any payments made AFTER January 31st, must go directly to the County Treasurer:
    Waukesha County Treasurer, 515 West Moreland Blvd, Waukesha, 53188

    The phone number for the County Treasurer’s office is 262-548-7029.

    If you choose to pay your taxes in full, the deadline is January 31st.

    When are the tax bills mailed?

    Tax bills are usually mailed the first or second week in December.

    What are my current taxes for this year?

    Copies of current year tax bills can be found on the Waukesha County website. The address is www.waukeshacounty.gov. Then search on “Taxes.” You can look up the tax information by using your tax key, beginning with “CHQV” or the property address. You may also visit, tax.waukeshacounty.gov.

    Where can I get a copy of my tax bill?

    You can obtain a copy of your tax bill at the Village Hall.

    When should I license my dog? What do I need to bring? Where do I go?

    Licenses are required for pets aged five (5) months and older. A new license must be obtained every year. Tags are available starting in late November for the following year. Proof of current rabies vaccination including verification of the rabies certificate number and expiration date must be provided in order to issue the license. The current fee for dog licensing is: $19 for a dog that is not neutered or spayed; and $14 for a dog that is neutered or spayed.

    Please come to the Village Hall to register your pet.

    Whom do I contact about a stray dog or cat?

    Contact the Elmbrook Humane Society | www.ebhs.org
    Telephone: 262-782-9261


    If I buy a house in Chenequa and its purchased less than the total assessed value, will my taxes decrease?

    Not necessarily — the fact that a property sells for less than the assessed value does not automatically reduce an assessment.

    The Assessor’s office reviews sales annually and compares those sale prices to the assessed value. Typically, if the assessment is within ten percent of the sale price, the assessment will remain the same. For those properties that sell outside that ten percent figure, further research is conducted by the assessor’s office to determine whether or not that sale was an open market sale.

    An open market sale is defined as a property being on the open market with neither the buyer nor the seller being compelled to act. The parties must also be unrelated.

    It is suggested that a purchaser contact the Assessor’s office to review the assessment should the sale price be less than the assessed value. Please see the Assessor webpage for contact details.

    Whom do I call to get an assessment on a property?

    The Village Assessor is Tyler Technologies.

    If you should have any questions or wish to request an Assessment Review of your home, see the Assessor webpage for contact details.

    Inspection Department

    How much does a permit cost?

    This Building Fee Schedule (PDF) is in effect on and after January 1, 2011.

    When is a permit due for review?

    The appropriate permit and fee(s) must be submitted by the 15th date of the month prior to the Plan Commission meeting. These items will be reviewed and additional information required must be received by the Monday, one (1) week prior to the meeting.

    What work does not need a permit?

    General maintenance work such as Painting, Carpeting, etc.

    How do I get zoning information?

    The building inspector’s office hours are Tuesday and Thursday from 2:30 to 3:30 pm. You may come in to the Village Hall or call the inspector at (262) 367-2239.

    The Village of Chenequa Zoning Checklist can be found here.

    You may also come to the Village Hall to review the Village map or purchase a laminated copy for $50.00.

    Do I need a permit to replace windows? What are the application requirements?

    No, if they are identical in size and style to what is currently on the home. Yes, if you are changing or adding windows. In addition, if the windows are changing in size or style they need to be approved by the Plan Commission.

    Do I need a permit to build a deck? What are the application requirements?

    Yes, a permit is required, for zoning review. Additionally, the work will need to be approved by the Plan Commission. The cost is $50 minimum + .15¢ / square foot, + 35%.

    Do I need a permit to re-roof my house?

    Yes, a permit is required. The cost is $60 + 35%.

    What are the fence requirements and is a permit needed?

    Yes a permit is required. The fence must be 2 feet off the lot line and no higher than 8 feet. All fences need to be approved by the Plan Commission. Goose fence is allowed. Applications for Goose Fences are available here.

    What happens if I do not get a permit?

    You will pay a double permit fee and if the project violates zoning codes and / or building codes, you will take the risk of having to make corrections to be in code as outlined in the Village Code.

    When do building permits expire?

    Building permits are good for 24 months.

    Highway / Forestry

    Where is the Recycling Center located?

    There is no recycling center located in the Village.

    How and where do I get a replacement recycling bin?

    The Village provides one recycling bin. If you want a second bin, it can be purchased at Village Hall for $10.

    What do I do with hazardous waste?

    The Village works with Waukesha County to provide residents a responsible solution for disposing of household hazardous waste.

    Waukesha County operates four (4) year-round household hazardous waste drop-off sites for residents and four (4) special one-day collections in spring and fall. Verify that your items are acceptable waste (PDF) and make sure to have proof of residency when bringing items to any HHW site. There is no fee for this service.More information can be found on the Waukesha County website here.

    My garbage or recycling was not picked up on the scheduled day, whom should I call?

    The Village of Chenequa asks that you have your items out by 7:00 am. If you had them out by that time, please call Johns Disposal at (262) 473-4700.

    When do I need a burning permit, and how do I get one?

    Burning permits are required for EVERY fire. The permit is obtained by calling the Village Hall and giving your name and address. If the weather conditions are clear for burning, we will take your name and note that permission was given on that particular day. No permits will be issued when winds are above 9 miles per hour per the Fire Chief. Please call only when you are ready to burn, as permits cannot be given in advance. To obtain a permit after normal Village Hall hours of operation, call (262)-446-5070.

    What items will not be picked up and what do I do with them?

    Items that do not fit into the trash bins require advanced notice to be picked up. This includes items such as appliances, furniture, building materials. Call Advanced Disposal at (262) 367-6040. Items will normally be picked up on your normal pickup day.

    Whom do I call about a dead animal or deer?

    Please call the Police Department non emergency line at (262)-367-2145.

    When is my trash pick up? Recyclable pick up?

    The pick up for your home will be weekly on Friday. All waste should be placed in containers no larger than 30 gallons and not weighing more than 50 pounds. Pick up will be made from outside and next to your garage. Collections begin at 7:00am. Please make sure your garbage is available for pick up by that time.

    Chenequa has a comprehensive household recycling program that includes driveway pick up by Village crews and a drop-off center. Household pick ups are every other Wednesday. Please do the following:

    • Place your recyclables on your driveway where our crews can access it and be visible from the street.
    • Materials should be rinsed, clean and ready for collection by 7:00am.
    • There are no limits on the amount of recyclables that will be picked up. Additional recycling that does not fit in your recycling bin should be placed in an extra garbage can or plastic container.
    • Collection crews will tag all containers which do not conform to these specifications, and will leave materials behind.
    When is trash pickup after a holiday?

    Check with the Village Hall or John’s Disposal website.


    How many sworn officers do you have?

    We currently have 8 full-time and 3 part-time sworn officers on duty.


    VILLAGE OF CHENEQUA  •  31275 W County Road K  •  CHENEQUA WI 53029

    OFFICE HOURS:  Monday • Thursday 8:00am to 4:30pm  •  Friday 8:00 am to 3:00 pm

    VILLAGE HALL  (262) 367-2239  •  Fax (262) 367-3341  •  POLICE DEPARTMENT  911 or (262) 367-2145

    AFTER HOURS POLICE  911 or (262) 446-5070 (WCC Dispatch Center)